The History of Birchwood School

The first school house was built in 1903. The men of the village of Birchwood dontated their labor and a one room school was ready when September rolled around.George Huss,the agent for selling the Knapp,Stout&Company land,donated a full block for school purposes, It was located in a central location one block east of main street.The summer of 1903 saw more action. That building was moved up on the hill,carpenters were hired to build a two and a half story schoolhouse.

Picture: Birchwood's second schoolhouse. 1903.

 


 

Parents were having meetings,students had parades with placards proclaiming "We Want a New School" They meant they wanted a modern building. At last it was settled and a new brick building was erected in 1921-22 directly east of the old building.

Picture: School Photograph from 1948.

In 1950, a new gym was added. A new entrance was then added in 1951. In 1961 a shop and band room were added along with three elementary rooms, restrooms and a new office. A kindergarten was added to the school in 1962-63.

Picture: After another addition, picture from 1967.

 

 

In June of '99 a building referendum was passed, and a new high school addition and cafeteria were added to the existing building.

Picture: The current Birchwood School building.

 

 

 

In 1979 the old building was raised and a new building was erected on the same sight.

The band room and old gym are what remain of the 1961 addition

Picture: 1981

 

After completion of the new addition.and extensive remodeling to the existing building students moved into the addition in March 2000.

 

Picture:This is the new addition taken from the south corner of the parking lot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Birchwood Public Schools  -  300 S Wilson St  -  Birchwood, WI 54817
Phone # (715) 354-3471  -  Fax # (715) 354-3469